Erik's Black Bean Burger By: Erik Hoffman Prep and cook time: 40 minutes Serves: 7 patties
- 2 15 oz cans black beans rinsed
- 4 T ketchup
- 2 t dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium white onion diced
- ¼ c red bell pepper diced
- 3 T parsley chopped
- 1 scallion thinnly sliced
- 1 T kosher salt
- ¾ c instant oats
- water or veggie broth for sautéing
1. Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mash beans. Drain and rinse beans and place in a large mixing bowl. Mash beans with a fork or in your hands until they’re evenly broken down. You should be able to still tell they’re beans. Don't mush them until they turn into paste.
3. Saute veggies. With enough water to just coat the bottom of a saute pan, cook over medium heat the onion, garlic and red pepper for about five minutes until translucent. Add to black bean mash.
4. Add the rest. Incorporate the rest of ingredients. Then mix in oats. Wait 2 minutes for oats to absorb the moisture and better bind the mixture.
5. Form into patties. I get about 7 burgers out of this mixture. I like to make the patties a little on the thinner side so when they cook, they get a nice sear on the outside and are not too mushy on the inside so they are easier to eat… i.e. not sloppy or falling apart.
6. Bake burgers. Place patties on a non-stick baking sheet or silpat and cook for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes carefully flip and cook for an aditional 8 minutes. The outside of patty should be fairly crisp. Let set for two minutes then serve on bun, bread, salad, wrap or pita with ketchup, mustard, pickles, relish, avocado, hot sauce, salsa, or what ever your heart desires. Enjoy.