Gazpacho (a cold, tomato-based soup) is so refreshing in the summer, especially in the thick South Carolina humidity. Fresh garden tomatoes and veggies chilled for a cool, refreshing soup to counteract the record high heat in Columbia. Yes please!
But not only is it great for lunch and dinner (we serve it with "decorated potatoes" (aka baked potato bar) for our Trisha's Healthy Table clients, but my personal favorite way to eat gazpacho?
I love drinking a small cup of this gazpacho with breakfast or any time during the day. Not only is the taste just so good, it's so insanely good for you! Move over green smoothies, the healthiness of gazpacho has definitely got you beat.
This gazpacho is lower in calorie density, and higher in herbs and veggies than green smoothies. That's what makes it even better for you. Green smoothies are normally a few types of fruit, one dark leafy green with juice or plant milk. Gazpacho is all veggies.
Think you won't like it? We've served shots of gazpacho to 100+ people at the SC State Museum (and repeatedly to our Trisha's Healthy Table clients) and here's some of their shocking feedback....
By: Trisha's Healthy Table, Chef Erik Hoffman
5 large tomatoes
2 cucumbers, peeled
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic
1/2 c flat leaf parsley
1/4 c chives
1/4 c champagne vinegar
2 T salt
1 T black pepper
fresh lemon juice
- Cut veggies into approximately 2 inch pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine garlic and herbs with veggies. Add the vinegar, salt and pepper and toss until well coated.
- Cover and marinate for 1-2 hours (though over night in the fridge is ideal).
- Once marinated, blend in batches until entire mixture is well blended (we use a high-powered blender to make it extra smooth).
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer (you may need to force it through using the back of a ladle to get all liquid through).
- Add fresh lemon juice, sherry vinegar and salt to taste.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Once chilled, it's ready to serve. Be sure to stir the gazpacho right before serving though. It may have naturally separated a bit (which is normal).
Don't have enough time to make gazpacho? Let us do it for you.
Want someone else make gazpacho or other healthy but dang delicious meals for you? Look no further. Trisha's Healthy Table makes healthy meals to-go for the nights you just don't want to cook, but don't want to compromise your health with greasy restaurant food.
Order meals on-line, schedule your pick-up date, then pick-up them up on your way home from work, reheat or assemble at home. Bing, bang, boom, dinner is done. Located at 1305 Assembly St., Columbia, SC.
Right now, Trisha's Healthy Table is offering a limited amount of highly discounted meals on pre-sale until September 20th. Some are already sold out! Want in? We hope so! You can't get these deliciously healthy, plant-based meals anywhere else. Check out www.THTmeals.com before they'll all gone!
Now it's time to hear from you.
What foods do you crave in the hot summer months? Or, what would you like to see Trisha's Healthy Table make so you don't have to?
Answer by clicking 'comment' below.