When I was young I LOVED boxed macaroni and cheese. Lol especially the next day when there were tiny "cheese balls" on the noodles (I know you know what I'm talking about).
But now, I can make an optimal version of powdered mac n cheese that gives me that same nostalgic feeling from being a kid, it's just A LOT healthier. It's delicious, it's health improving and it's super easy to make.
I love this recipe so much that I made it on the set of "Making It Grow" last night (I'll email you when the replay is out).
The recipe is so easy to make. Once you've made your powdered "cheese" mix, you can have a cheese sauce ready within 2 minutes that's delicious, dairy free, gluten free, vegan and low in fat. Lol yes, it really does taste good.
Before I introduce the recipe, you need to know where it came from. My husband is a Chef and his good friend Mike Joyce, the head chef of Aldine Restaurant in Philadelphia, got us this cookbook as a wedding present. It's one of the most delicious tasting, unique and spot on vegan cookbooks I've ever had and I highly recommend it.
How to Make Powdered and Plant-Based Macaroni and Cheese
Plant-Based Powered Mac and Cheese
Sauce by Miyoko Schinner of The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples and pasta dish recreated by Nutritionist, Trisha Mandes, MPHN of www.TrishaMandes.com
Powdered Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
- 3/4 C nutritional yeast
- 3/4 C oat flour
- 1/4 C tapioca flour
- 1 T paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp powdered mustard
- 100% whole grain pasta (whole wheat or brown rice or other)
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cups almond milk
Instructions for making powdered cheese mix:
- Place all powdered cheese ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix with a whisk until equally mixed.
- Put in an airtight container, label it and store in the cupboard.
Instructions for making the mac and cheese:
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Steam broccoli.
- To make cheese sauce, put almond milk and 2/3 C cheese powder mix in a sauce pot. Turn stove on high and begin mixing the powder mix and almond milk together using a whisk until it's evenly blended. Continue to whisk as it comes to a boil and thickens. As soon as it comes to a boil immediately remove it from heat, and continue whisking.
- Place cooked pasta, broccoli and cheese sauce in a large bowl and toss until evenly coated with cheese. Then plate and enjoy.
Now I'd love to hear from you. Answer today's question and click 'comment' below to answer.